Monday, December 04, 2006

Invest in yourself

my girlfriend and i were talking about career/dream jobs and our
retirement strategy. She thinks i worry too much at such a young age
that I am already thinking about how much i will have for retirement.
here's what i think: since i'm not planning on having any kids i won't
have children who will be watching out for me. I have to make enough
to provide for myself independently. i don't think i'm planning too
early because it takes about 30-40 yrs to build up a hefty amount. And
considering inflation at 5% per year and the american dollar getting
weaker. that just means i have to work harder at making something for
myself. granted, my current job is in an industry that makes just
enough for my living expenses i need to spend wisely.

i'm trying to think of two things at once. That one, it is important
to focus on my future. Currently i work as residential recovery
advocate with the mental health industry. i help my clients with their
recovery goals so that they may one day live independently. I hope to
take some more classes next fall to work as a respiratory therapist
and work in the hospitals. Everyone has their share of hospital stays
and i want to be aware of what goes on in the hospitals.

secondly, the thing i'm worried about as well is my retirement. my
hope is to retire with my g/f in a comfortable life. I need to buy a
house and to have enough to spend about $30,000 a year for 10 yrs.
That's only an estimate if my retiring years is going to be 10 yrs or
longer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home